If your loved one becomes disoriented, gets confused easily, repeats themselves constantly, or wanders away, he/she may require a facility with a Dementia Waiver. Dementia Care or commonly referred to as a Memory Care Unit, requires additional licensing where administrators and staff have dementia training and the facility commonly has additional security measures. If you are reading this, chances are you have a loved one that suffers from Dementia or Alzheimer’s. I know what you are going through. I have been on your end of the search for my own mom and it really gave me a unique perspective in helping families to find the right fit.
If an individual meets one or more of the following criteria, an Alzheimer’s Care facility would be appropriate:
- Has been recommended for an Alzheimer’s Care Facility by a physician
- Can no longer live alone safely
- Is no longer caring for their own personal needs, such as eating, bathing, using the toilet, moving around, or taking medications (custodial care)
- Has been diagnosed with Dementia, moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease
- Cannot care for themselves due to emotional, physical, or mental problems beyond the family’s ability to help
- Could wander away if unsupervised, or is exit seeking
- Could start a fire or cause harm to others
- Is violent
Memory Care often includes structured activities or programs designed to nurture residents suffering from Alzheimer’s or Dementia. A senior with diagnosed Alzheimer’s disease would require a residence with staff trained to assist with the daily activities for a person with this disease. Memory Care is more expensive, but the care can still cost considerably less than a Skilled Nursing Facility. We are familiar with differences in cost, as well as which homes have the Dementia Waiver.
My Senior Navigator can provide a list of appropriate facilities in the area of your choice. Contact us with your questions and concerns and we will explain all of your options.
Our referral services are always free for families, so please call us today at 805-748-2614 and let us save you time and stress.